Quince-Plum Stew Ingredients
Yazd province is a central province in Iran. A province with hot-dry climate that attracts many tourists from all over the world every year. Yazd has many natural attractions and historical monuments, but besides all these, the traditional dishes of this city have their own fans.
Many foreign tourists want to try these dishes and in most cases, they really like it.
One of these extremely delicious dishes is Yazdi quince-plum stew. This authentic Yazdi dish is a combination of plum and sweet-sour taste which has made it popular among people. Yazdi people cook this meal mostly in autumn. You can try this tempting stew by traveling to this city.
Quince is a useful autumn and winter fruit that helps to strengthen the immune system with its wonderful properties and is very effective in treating colds and flu. This fruit is rich in vitamins A, B, C, fiber, as well as minerals, copper, magnesium, iron, phosphorus and calcium. But in addition to its many useful properties, it is also used for jam, tea, stew, etc. One of the most delicious autumn stews is quince-plum stew, which can be made with chicken, beef, mutton, ground beef, and turkey.
Quince-Plum Stew Ingredients
- Soaked plums: 250 grams
- Split peas: ½ cup (75 grams)
- Sliced onion: 1 piece (140 grams)
- Frying oil: as needed
- Chopped lamb leg or beef shank: 400 grams
- Turmeric powder: 1 tablespoon (6 grams)
- Ground saffron dissolved in boiling water: 1 tablespoon (14 ml)
- Quince (chopped): 2 pcs (520 grams)
- Tomato paste: 2 tablespoons (30 grams)
- Sugar: 3 tablespoons (39 grams)
- Lime juice: 2 tablespoons (28 ml)
- Ground black pepper and salt: as needed
- Ginger powder: ½ teaspoon
Yazdi Quince-Plum Stew
To start, first heat a little oil in a pot. Then, add sliced onions. After the onions turn golden, add the meat in the pot and fry it completely. At this time, you can slightly increase the heat so that the meat fries faster. Then add the washed and drained split peas to the ingredients. At this step, sauté the split peas with meat for a bit to remove the rawness. After a few minutes, add salt, pepper, turmeric and tomato paste to the ingredients and mix thoroughly. At the end, pour some water into the stew and let it be half-cooked. After a short time, add the soaked plums into the stew along with its water.
And as for the quinces, peel them and after removing the seeds, chop them into medium size and sauté in oil. Then add them to the stew along with saffron and sugar and let it fully cook. Make sure to try this delicious stew which has a unique taste.
- You can also use dried lemon in stew. Be sure to remove the seeds to prevent bitterness.
- Remember to soak the split peas the night before to eliminate the gas. If you forget, you can boil it in some water and drain it.
- Serving this delicious stew with barberry rice is really tempting.